Wednesday, December 15, 2004

 

Moving along

Conversing with Aaron Lee-Wudrick earlier tonight about his new blog, we briefly touched on the personal vs. political blog content debate. He's now sleeping, but I've been thinking. I've been thinking it's time for a change.

As I mentioned at its inception, my blog was created to keep track of the random adventures in life that I have a habit of getting myself into. Otherwise, I would simply just forget so many things that happen to me.

Still, many of my adventures take me beyond my own personal life, into areas that deserve equal space on my blog. Plus, I like the traffic on my site, and I can't see how many people could really like to hear about how I like being lazy on those rare occasions when my schedule affords it.

Thus, you can now look forward to seeing more in the way of my thoughts on current issues posted on my blog. Yes, I'll still include the personal stuff - I am human, after all - but I will lean a bit more into the extra-personal as well.

Still, sometimes the personal and the political are thankfully intertwined. For example, I'm currently applying for a job as the communications and fundraising director of Engineers Without Borders. It's a really great organization, for the most part, combining so many of the things that I love: capitalism, youth, development, entrepreneurship, technology, an international scope...

Comments:
I can't believe that I'm dating someone who admits to loving capitalism. I think that having publicly declared your love of capitalism will save you from being called a "lefty". I don't know why it would be such a bad thing to be called, anyway, but we can debate that at another time. I look forward to your blog's new direction.
 
Yeah, it's not going to be a huge change in direction. It's just going to have more stuff on it that's not about me, personally.

And yes, I do love capitalism. It's head over heels better than any alternative I've encountered.
 
i agree with heidi. what makes you afraid of being called "leftist"? do you think people will stop taking you seriously? and why would they call you a lefty if you work for EWB? is it because of the "without borders" part? because "engineers" never seem too leftist to me.

-joanna
 
Anyone who doesn't like capitalism probably doesn't know what captialism is, or have created their own silly straw man called "capitalism" that is just too easy to knock down. If you use any of the following in your definition, you're guilty of this: money, greed, exploitation, consumerism, superficiality, materialism.

:)
 
Amen, Aaron. Amen.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?