Monday, August 21, 2006
Snakes on a Plane
Friday night's premiere of Snakes on a Plane was nothing short of fantastic. The crowds, the stars, the opening credits rolling across the Hawaiian backdrop: "Alliance Atlantis presents ... Samuel L Jackson in ... Snakes ... On a Plane." It was truly the gala event of a lifetime, I can now die happy. The movie itself far exceeded all my expectations of campy-ness: there were parts in the film where you found yourself saying "Oh, no, they're not going to go there...." but yes, they (the filmmakers) went there. Truly, truly shooting for the lowest common denominator. It was awesome.
The crowd itself was the true spectacle, however - I've never been to the Rocky Horror Picture Show but I understand the experience is somewhat similar. The audience was not quiet, interjecting many snake-themed comments throughout both movie and previews, not to mention lots and lots of hissssssssing. Many adorned SoaP clothing, and many brought large rubber snakes to twirl around in the air at select points throughout the film. And of course when Sam Jackson finally delivers the famous line - "I have HAD IT with these MOTHERF*ING SNAKES on this MOTHERF*ING PLANE" - the crowd went wild with applause. (Parents - it was definitely not a kids' movie, in case you haven't figured that out yet.)
Saturday I helped Michelle S move to London, which included meeting and a home-cooked meal with her sister. Good times.
Sunday was the final Ultimate Frisbee game of the season for the team I "subbed" for, my third day of playing Ultimate ever. We lost, man I'm a terrible Ultimate player. However, the team had won some sort of raffle that entitled us to $250.00 in free food and booze, which we enjoyed after the game.
The crowd itself was the true spectacle, however - I've never been to the Rocky Horror Picture Show but I understand the experience is somewhat similar. The audience was not quiet, interjecting many snake-themed comments throughout both movie and previews, not to mention lots and lots of hissssssssing. Many adorned SoaP clothing, and many brought large rubber snakes to twirl around in the air at select points throughout the film. And of course when Sam Jackson finally delivers the famous line - "I have HAD IT with these MOTHERF*ING SNAKES on this MOTHERF*ING PLANE" - the crowd went wild with applause. (Parents - it was definitely not a kids' movie, in case you haven't figured that out yet.)
Saturday I helped Michelle S move to London, which included meeting and a home-cooked meal with her sister. Good times.
Sunday was the final Ultimate Frisbee game of the season for the team I "subbed" for, my third day of playing Ultimate ever. We lost, man I'm a terrible Ultimate player. However, the team had won some sort of raffle that entitled us to $250.00 in free food and booze, which we enjoyed after the game.