Sunday, July 09, 2006
VIVA ITALIA!!
In just under two hours, the World Cup Championship game will start. I am most wholeheartedly cheering for Italy.
On Friday, I sent an e-mail to extended family (on my mom's side) cheering for Italy. My mom's father's side is Italian. I received some expectedly colourful responses:
Uncle Bob: "VIVE LA FRANCE!!! C'est NOUS qui vainquerons!!!"
(My mom's sadly deluded little brother lives in Toulousse, France)
Aunt Toni: "Watch this: Andiamo a Berlino a riprenderci la coppa" (video clip attached of Italy beating Germany in the semi-finals)
(My mom's incredibly accurate second youngest sister lives in Sicily)
Cousin Chris: "Italy beat Australia so I'm obviously rooting for France. They play better soccer anyways."
(Chris, despite having been raised in the USA, was born in Australia. When asked why he didn't thus want Italy to win, on the rationale that it's best to lose to a stronger team (World Cup champs-to-be, no less), his motive was plain and simple: vengeance.)
Uncle Teo: "Berlin, Germany; June 24, 2006; 11:42 PM. After the Mexico-Argentina game the FIFA decided that the 2006 World Cup was cancelled." (fake press release follows)
(Uncle Teo, though it's been more than a decade that he's been a prof at UC Santa Barbara, was born in Mexico)
Mom: "Your mother's side has as quite a bit of German in it too. Your Grandmother's maiden name was Kraus. May the best team win!"
(My mom, after having raised five children, is diplomatic by nature (read: she's a fence-sitter). She is correct, though: I am glad the Germans won against Portugal yesterday)
Brother Philip: "I am a big crybaby who calls the other teams names when Germany does not win. Thus, I will be cheering for France"
(Philip has been sitting in front of a computer for too many years of his life and lacks a grasp on reality)
VIVA ITALIA!!!!
On Friday, I sent an e-mail to extended family (on my mom's side) cheering for Italy. My mom's father's side is Italian. I received some expectedly colourful responses:
Uncle Bob: "VIVE LA FRANCE!!! C'est NOUS qui vainquerons!!!"
(My mom's sadly deluded little brother lives in Toulousse, France)
Aunt Toni: "Watch this: Andiamo a Berlino a riprenderci la coppa" (video clip attached of Italy beating Germany in the semi-finals)
(My mom's incredibly accurate second youngest sister lives in Sicily)
Cousin Chris: "Italy beat Australia so I'm obviously rooting for France. They play better soccer anyways."
(Chris, despite having been raised in the USA, was born in Australia. When asked why he didn't thus want Italy to win, on the rationale that it's best to lose to a stronger team (World Cup champs-to-be, no less), his motive was plain and simple: vengeance.)
Uncle Teo: "Berlin, Germany; June 24, 2006; 11:42 PM. After the Mexico-Argentina game the FIFA decided that the 2006 World Cup was cancelled." (fake press release follows)
(Uncle Teo, though it's been more than a decade that he's been a prof at UC Santa Barbara, was born in Mexico)
Mom: "Your mother's side has as quite a bit of German in it too. Your Grandmother's maiden name was Kraus. May the best team win!"
(My mom, after having raised five children, is diplomatic by nature (read: she's a fence-sitter). She is correct, though: I am glad the Germans won against Portugal yesterday)
Brother Philip: "I am a big crybaby who calls the other teams names when Germany does not win. Thus, I will be cheering for France"
(Philip has been sitting in front of a computer for too many years of his life and lacks a grasp on reality)
VIVA ITALIA!!!!