Thursday, July 13, 2006
The past, the present, the future ... and snakes on a plane
Last night I spent at the Jane Bond, just on a spur of the moment. Drank a few and chatted a bit with my oldest Waterloo friend, Jill, and one of her co-workers. Meaghan Johnson showed up and we sat and chatted at the bar for quite some time. Topics covered ranged from yoga teacher training to the shifting of perspectives in the US about world politics. It was, suffice to say, a very good time, one of the best I've had at my old haunting ground in a good long while.
Today I met with Anastasia and Paul for a very brief lunchtime meeting. Nothing like turning the world upside down in a heartbeat. Turns out both my living accommodations and my practice location might be closely integrated: we all may live together at a place that will feature an in-house yoga studio, where we will all be teaching. Yes, if that's true, I may have a very interesting year coming up.
Tomorrow morning I will be turning in my acceptance for the offer of admission to graduate studies in UW's Management Sciences program. Nothing like waiting until the very last day to drop it off, but I wanted to go for the auspicious date of the 14th to make this serious committment. OK, I'm not actually superstitious, I was going to drop off the acceptance today but ran out of time as I was in a meeting with Matt Erickson.
I have already been in touch with all of my professors for the management sciences classes. Economic concepts for management promises to take it easy on us economic greeners (and I *heart* game theory); I'm a bit apprehensive about the math involved in Principles of Operations Research; and I have no qualms about taking what the professor reports as an introductory version of Organizational Theory and Behaviour. I'm also going to try and add in my first-year calculus and algebra courses on top of that workload.
So yes, I have started Over-Extenders Anonymous up again. Because I'm going to need it. :)
I will also likely serve as the head TA for the ECON 220: Principles of Entrepreneurship class *or* as a TA/RA for the MBET 611: Applied Business Leadership Skills class. I may be the founding editor-in-chief of a twice-per-term publication extolling the virtues of UW's entrepreneurial organizations, activities and ventures. (After all, I would have to pay for grad school somehow.)
Oh, and I'll be teaching sunrise yoga for the Shad Valley participants three times a week until the end of July. That's right - 6:30am yoga sessions for the rest of the month. Hoo-rah!
There will be two more viewings of Thank You for Smoking - once for Meagan and Shelly, both coming in from out of town, and once with Jeff and Kate. And I am definitely not missing Snakes on a Plane next month, because even if it sucks completely (and we all know it will, that's the idea right?) I have almost peed my pants laughing at some of the humourous SoaP culture that has sprung up on the internet. And I will definitely stand up and cheer when Samuel L. Jackson delivers the line "There are motherf%&!ing snakes on this motherf!@#ing plane!!"
As I write this, I realize that I'm not leaving a lot of time in my schedule for dating, unless she likes yoga, political satire and watching Samuel L. Jackson take a taser to CGI snakes mid-strike. Hmmmm....not that I don't recognize my reasons for my neglect, but I may have to reschedule a bit.
Today I met with Anastasia and Paul for a very brief lunchtime meeting. Nothing like turning the world upside down in a heartbeat. Turns out both my living accommodations and my practice location might be closely integrated: we all may live together at a place that will feature an in-house yoga studio, where we will all be teaching. Yes, if that's true, I may have a very interesting year coming up.
Tomorrow morning I will be turning in my acceptance for the offer of admission to graduate studies in UW's Management Sciences program. Nothing like waiting until the very last day to drop it off, but I wanted to go for the auspicious date of the 14th to make this serious committment. OK, I'm not actually superstitious, I was going to drop off the acceptance today but ran out of time as I was in a meeting with Matt Erickson.
I have already been in touch with all of my professors for the management sciences classes. Economic concepts for management promises to take it easy on us economic greeners (and I *heart* game theory); I'm a bit apprehensive about the math involved in Principles of Operations Research; and I have no qualms about taking what the professor reports as an introductory version of Organizational Theory and Behaviour. I'm also going to try and add in my first-year calculus and algebra courses on top of that workload.
So yes, I have started Over-Extenders Anonymous up again. Because I'm going to need it. :)
I will also likely serve as the head TA for the ECON 220: Principles of Entrepreneurship class *or* as a TA/RA for the MBET 611: Applied Business Leadership Skills class. I may be the founding editor-in-chief of a twice-per-term publication extolling the virtues of UW's entrepreneurial organizations, activities and ventures. (After all, I would have to pay for grad school somehow.)
Oh, and I'll be teaching sunrise yoga for the Shad Valley participants three times a week until the end of July. That's right - 6:30am yoga sessions for the rest of the month. Hoo-rah!
There will be two more viewings of Thank You for Smoking - once for Meagan and Shelly, both coming in from out of town, and once with Jeff and Kate. And I am definitely not missing Snakes on a Plane next month, because even if it sucks completely (and we all know it will, that's the idea right?) I have almost peed my pants laughing at some of the humourous SoaP culture that has sprung up on the internet. And I will definitely stand up and cheer when Samuel L. Jackson delivers the line "There are motherf%&!ing snakes on this motherf!@#ing plane!!"
As I write this, I realize that I'm not leaving a lot of time in my schedule for dating, unless she likes yoga, political satire and watching Samuel L. Jackson take a taser to CGI snakes mid-strike. Hmmmm....not that I don't recognize my reasons for my neglect, but I may have to reschedule a bit.
