Monday, July 03, 2006

 

The many and the few

I have two main personal e-mail accounts, one that predates the dawn of mass e-mail spam and one that was created afterwards. The care with which I guarded the earlier e-mail address, then, was much less than that which I afforded the newer. The earlier account ended up on its fair share of subscription lists and posts, the later account has been given out to none except the most trusted sources (eg, close friends, personal banking).

The difference shows greatly. On the newer account, I received a total of eighteen (18) spam messages for the month of June. Yes, fewer than twenty spam messages in an entire month. On the older account, however, I received two hundred and forty-six (246) spam messages in the first two days of July alone. Quite the difference.

I have another new e-mail account that I now use for registrations and subscriptions online. In this account, 197 messages were caught in the spam filter last month - but 308 more that ended up directly in my inbox.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?