Tuesday, July 04, 2006
Can I get a hell yeah?
Amazing brain repairs itself!
Now that's my kind of story! And to think, it was a few scant years ago (during the NIMH's "Decade of the Brain," no less) that we still thought that once brain cells die, they're gone for good.
We've since learned that brain cells can regenerate, of course, but this is the first case I've ever heard of of somebody just waking up suddenly out of a "minimally conscious state" and being able to speak fluently after a very short three day time period.
Happy Independence Day, indeed!
Now that's my kind of story! And to think, it was a few scant years ago (during the NIMH's "Decade of the Brain," no less) that we still thought that once brain cells die, they're gone for good.
We've since learned that brain cells can regenerate, of course, but this is the first case I've ever heard of of somebody just waking up suddenly out of a "minimally conscious state" and being able to speak fluently after a very short three day time period.
Happy Independence Day, indeed!