Monday, May 15, 2006
Church
I went to mass yesterday morning at St. Jerome's, for the first time in many years. Some familiar faces - Fr. Jim Link led the mass, and I believe I was sitting next to the Higgins family - but many unfamiliar ones as well. Full church, though. I bet that many people still remember my mom (happy mother's day!) from her time as choir leader.
All in all, it was a great service, and I especially liked the sermon from Fr. Jim. He talked about a counselling course that he had taken, having to face his own issues as part of the process. One particularlly illuminating story about a priest he had once had a conflict with, and then he called in some help from Jesus, learned to forgive, and when he later encountered that priest he gave him a big hug.
Let's just say it was a very timely sermon, considering what I've been through lately. Taking it to heart as much as possible.
Also interesting was one part from the petitions, the parts where they ask the congregation to pray for those with children, those sick, etc. One of the petitions was praying for those in positions of power and influence, particularly those in the media, asking them to make the right decisions.
All in all, it was a great service, and I especially liked the sermon from Fr. Jim. He talked about a counselling course that he had taken, having to face his own issues as part of the process. One particularlly illuminating story about a priest he had once had a conflict with, and then he called in some help from Jesus, learned to forgive, and when he later encountered that priest he gave him a big hug.
Let's just say it was a very timely sermon, considering what I've been through lately. Taking it to heart as much as possible.
Also interesting was one part from the petitions, the parts where they ask the congregation to pray for those with children, those sick, etc. One of the petitions was praying for those in positions of power and influence, particularly those in the media, asking them to make the right decisions.