Saturday, April 01, 2006
Vancouver magic
That old Vancouver magic is still in the air...
Breakfast out in Vancouver, at the West End's equivalent to Mel's Diner. Lunch was a great little sushi place at prices that are actually much better than anywhere I've ever seen in Ontario. (Not sure why, as I didn't actually get any fish in my dish, but you won't hear me complaining about good prices.)
Then I went on a bit of a whirlwind tour of my old haunts on the North Shore:
Wikipedia: Swollen Members
Lynn Headwaters Regional Park
Bean Around the World Coffees
The Village at Park Royal
Breakfast out in Vancouver, at the West End's equivalent to Mel's Diner. Lunch was a great little sushi place at prices that are actually much better than anywhere I've ever seen in Ontario. (Not sure why, as I didn't actually get any fish in my dish, but you won't hear me complaining about good prices.)
Then I went on a bit of a whirlwind tour of my old haunts on the North Shore:
- Almost eerily, a song by the Swollen Members came on the radio as I drove by the North Vancouver Subway restaurant where group member Shane "Mad Child" Bunting used to work the night shift. I was his boss, I hired him. "What do you do in your spare time, Shane?" I once asked him. "I'm going to be a famous rap artist" was his reply. "My rap name is 'Mad Child'" Didn't even think of it until much later when I saw him on MuchMusic. The cameras do a good job of hiding how short he is (maybe 5'2").
- Looking for an old friend of mine, I dropped by her former workplace. "She doesn't work here anymore," they noted, pointing to a photograph taped to the cash register. "But these are her kids..." Got her number and will be catching up with her tomorrow...
- Stopped by Lynn Headwaters Regional Park to see the big old trees. On my way out of the park, I picked up some hitch-hikers. They only wanted a ride to the end of the (considerably long) road out, but it was good karma anyways. I don't think I've ever picked up hitch-hikers before, I think they were UBC students.
- Stopped by one of the restaurants I used to run, the most succesful one. I left just as it was sold to a new owner, and as I passed by on this trip, I was wondering what had happened to him. So I walked into the store, and there he was sitting there. (Owners almost never come into the stores - they leave the day-to-day up to managers.) Almost a decade later, still must be making money hand over fist. Some things never change (except the prices, some of which have almost doubled).
- Also stopped at uber-trendy West Vancouver coffeeshop "Bean Around the World" and spotted an old picture of a friend of mine on the wall. So many people I know out here, I wonder where they are...
- Oh, and it appears they turned my old sports bar hangout into "Canada's First Lifestyle Centre:" the Village at Park Royal. Think ski chalet meets upscale shopping. Or think of it as the only place I know where Michael's, Lululemon and the Home Depot are all together in one happy package. And Home Depot has storefront ... what's up with that?? You know it's trendy upscale West Van when there are three yoga clothing stores within 200m of each other...
Wikipedia: Swollen Members
Lynn Headwaters Regional Park
Bean Around the World Coffees
The Village at Park Royal