Monday, February 06, 2006
Super Bowl
Great game last night. Lots of tight calls, a close score and the occasional game-shifting play. Edge of your seat, right up until the last three minutes. All it all it was a great time, except for the fact that my favoured team completely sucked eggs.
I wouldn't so much say that the Steelers won the Super Bowl, as I would that the Seahawks lost it. True, the Steelers put in a great performance yesterday, but I hold that they could easily have been bested by Seattle if those nor-westerners hadn't made so many stupid mistakes. Their inability to translate a 2-to-1 time possession in the first quarter into anything more than a field goal, for example. Moreso, there were too many fumbled passes, too many poor choices of play (running a play up the middle in the last minute of the first half?) -- the way they played yesterday, it's no surprise the Seahawks lost.
Ah well, there was some great food, a dozen people cheering at my house, and all in all it was a good time. Now looking forward to Team Canada and Oscar parties, hopefully with equally great crowds.
Afterthought: When the Super Bowl MVPs of the past marched out in pre-game, it was interesting for me to realize just how long I've been watching that championship. From the 49ers' (go Rice!) to the Cowboys to Green Bay's return to the Patriots, I've been watching the Super Bowl for just about two decades now.
Also: Yes, the Stones did rock the halftime. Four decades plus, and still going strong. Though Aaron Neville and Arethra Franklin were certainly poor choices for the national anthem.
I wouldn't so much say that the Steelers won the Super Bowl, as I would that the Seahawks lost it. True, the Steelers put in a great performance yesterday, but I hold that they could easily have been bested by Seattle if those nor-westerners hadn't made so many stupid mistakes. Their inability to translate a 2-to-1 time possession in the first quarter into anything more than a field goal, for example. Moreso, there were too many fumbled passes, too many poor choices of play (running a play up the middle in the last minute of the first half?) -- the way they played yesterday, it's no surprise the Seahawks lost.
Ah well, there was some great food, a dozen people cheering at my house, and all in all it was a good time. Now looking forward to Team Canada and Oscar parties, hopefully with equally great crowds.
Afterthought: When the Super Bowl MVPs of the past marched out in pre-game, it was interesting for me to realize just how long I've been watching that championship. From the 49ers' (go Rice!) to the Cowboys to Green Bay's return to the Patriots, I've been watching the Super Bowl for just about two decades now.
Also: Yes, the Stones did rock the halftime. Four decades plus, and still going strong. Though Aaron Neville and Arethra Franklin were certainly poor choices for the national anthem.