Friday, November 04, 2005

 

Sunshine and politicians

Beautiful weather we're having. I'm reminded of my trip to Florida last month!

Yesterday I had the pleasure of presenting for Shad at a school in Guelph. Awaiting my presention, I poked around the school and noticed that the walls were adorned with pictures of Canadian politicians. Looking closer, I noticed that all these politicians had visited this school, in many cases at the height in their careers. From prominent native politicians to Ralph Klein to Dalton McGuinty to Brian Mulroney ... so many different icons had come to talk at this school.

Unable to resist, I asked around to find the reason for this phenomenon. Was the school some hotbed of voter influence in the country? Had some famous prime minister once been an alumnus? The answer turned out to be an inspiring one: a world issues teacher extremely passionate about getting his students the best real-world education possible, so he leveraged whatever opportunities he had to get students some invaluable face time with real leaders. In one case, a Quebec Referendum (1995) debate was even held at the school, bringing in leaders from across the country and televised by the CBC.

Now that kicks butt.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?