Sunday, August 14, 2005

 

A relaxing weekend

Sometimes it takes an effort for me to slow down, but it's a necessary effort. This weekend was slower weekend, trying just to relax and decompress. Lots has been going on recently, what with the end of camp on the horizon, job interviews, the fact that unlike all of my peers I am preparing for neither co-op nor another term at school. Yes, life is different now - like a blank page, but I'm not quite sure what to write on it yet. My life of stress and action has not left me ("you can take the student out of the university..."), so it's not like I'm used to living a casual life yet.

Meanwhile, I did manage to fit in a few activities this weekend. Caught up with Andrew K on Friday night, a wild goose chase that turned into a relaxing couple of pints at "The Still" on King St. in downtown Kitchener. The Still is an absolute dive, terrible service with mediocre food, I doubt I would go there in the winter. That particular night, however, the open-air patio and live entertainment served us quite nicely, and we caught up on things.

The rest of my weekend was essentially devoted to Amy time and relaxing. Amy and I did a bit of shopping on Saturday (work clothes, formal clothes and Amy clothes) at both 360 degrees and at Conestoga Mall. Apparently it was ESQ day at the mall - many of my co-workers happened to be there. I found the dress pants I was looking for (black, to match Amy's gear) and the rest of the time was shopping for Amy. She got a few things, including an absolutely STUNNING jumpsuit from Fairweather. Lucky among men, am I!

Otherwise I was in pj's by 8pm that night. I'm a bit sad about missing Lauren and Pat's engagement party - Christine reports that it was quite a bit of fun, everbody nicely toasted, in a backyard so nice that "I would consider getting married there." But hey, I can't chase EVERY party that there is, so I will just wish the happy couple well closer to the date.

Today I let the reality sink in that I have some 13 days before I am homeless, so I started looking again for a place to live. Slim pickings. For those of you who read this, and are thinking "WHY ARE YOU LEAVING IT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE?!?!?!" my response is simply "THAT IS WHAT I ALWAYS DO!" That's how all of my best apartments have come to me - a private two bedroom apartment two blocks from the beach in West Vancouver, $600/month. Got that one the week before I was homeless. The brand new building one block from the UW campus, $400/month for a room that cost $475/month, nicest place I've ever lived, one week before I was homeless. Even some of my nicer residence experiences (UW place, anyone?) came because of last-minute decisions. Already I've had a few nice offers, including the opportunity to head on back to 77 Seagram.

Other than the search, I spent a great day today with my favourite girl at her house, then we went to Courtney's so that I can discover just how "off" my yoga practice that I am, but at least then enjoy a nice dinner (thanks, Ames!) and a rousing game of Trivial Pursuit. And now, off to bed early, to get ready for week 7 of 9 of ESQ...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?