Thursday, July 14, 2005
Things I learned in camp this week
1. No matter how old you are, you still need to go outside and play every once in awhile.
2. Everything in life is better when you have a good buddy to eat lunch with.
3. My suspicions have been confirmed: I do love working with genius children. Never, ever constrain their talents.
4. There is never enough ice cream to go around, though too much jello can give you a tummy ache.
5. A classroom full of 10 year olds unleashed to learn Photoshop can be a beautiful, wonderful, dangerous thing. Pictures to follow!
6. Speaking of dangerous things, this marks one week since I've had my BlackBerry. First day of camp: 140 messages (sent and received). Second day: just over 100. Wednesday: about 80. Today: about 70.
7. Work-related politics can be interesting things when your major stakeholders are (very perceptive) 10 year old children ... and their (very protective) parents.
8. ArgusLab is da bomb. I strongly recommend this piece of freeware as toys for adults as well as children.
9. Listen to your calling. You never know what sort of opportunities may present themselves. Major life changing events happening so far at camp: 1, with another potentially rearing on the horizon.
10. No better place to spend a heat wave than an air conditioned computer lab. It strikes me as blessed that I have such a fortunate job this year, while last year's cool weather was "miserable" for everyone else but for my planting schedule it was perfect. Mother nature and I, we do enjoy each other deeply.
2. Everything in life is better when you have a good buddy to eat lunch with.
3. My suspicions have been confirmed: I do love working with genius children. Never, ever constrain their talents.
4. There is never enough ice cream to go around, though too much jello can give you a tummy ache.
5. A classroom full of 10 year olds unleashed to learn Photoshop can be a beautiful, wonderful, dangerous thing. Pictures to follow!
6. Speaking of dangerous things, this marks one week since I've had my BlackBerry. First day of camp: 140 messages (sent and received). Second day: just over 100. Wednesday: about 80. Today: about 70.
7. Work-related politics can be interesting things when your major stakeholders are (very perceptive) 10 year old children ... and their (very protective) parents.
8. ArgusLab is da bomb. I strongly recommend this piece of freeware as toys for adults as well as children.
9. Listen to your calling. You never know what sort of opportunities may present themselves. Major life changing events happening so far at camp: 1, with another potentially rearing on the horizon.
10. No better place to spend a heat wave than an air conditioned computer lab. It strikes me as blessed that I have such a fortunate job this year, while last year's cool weather was "miserable" for everyone else but for my planting schedule it was perfect. Mother nature and I, we do enjoy each other deeply.