Wednesday, July 20, 2005

 

I am not a statistic, despite what it says

Take the MIT Weblog Survey

MIT's weblog survey. In research methods class, we used to take surveys and statistics that were clearly biased and dissect them scientifically. This survey is a nice example - an online survey, word of which is spread online, about online matters. Do you think that there will be a higher percentage of respondents who will indicate that they participate in online matters? Blog more frequently? E-mail more frequently? Many of those who would answer that they do not e-mail frequently (if ever) will likely never even hear of this survey.

When you finish the survey, they encourage you to put a link similar to the one above on your blog and say that "The larger our sample is, the better chance we have of being unbiased."

(Editor's note: I feel quite sure that my little brother, currently taking summer classes at MIT, would have some smart remark about how my criticisms are unfounded. I have one thing to say to him: suck it up, sissypants.)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?