Monday, July 25, 2005
Hillside: music
In retrospect, it would have better been called the "Hillside Blues Festival."
Not that you would EVER hear me complain about that.
It was a fantastic festival, the most amazing musical potluck ever. They pack three or four acts on different stages simultaneously, so it is impossible to literally enjoy every show. Between that scheduling and my welcome crew duties, I still did manage to catch some great music.
The most ear-catching bit to me this weekend was Les Batinses from Quebec. I was napping over near the lake, and heard both music and crowd and was encouraged to come on over. They were ripping into a fantastic celtic piece that Ashley MacIsaac once covered, much to the delight to the hundreds of concertgoers dancing in the crowds. One of the few makes-you-get-up-and-dance players that actually made people get up and dance.
Speaking of headliners, though, I do have to applaud The Arcade Fire for their true rock enthusiasm for the few songs I saw. I heard most of their act from across the causeway, and was less than impressed. When I showed up, though, was right when they said "OK, let's give them what they want, let's play the f*@$#! hits.." to which they embarked upon a truly impassioned performance. Not that I recognized any of the tunes, but there you go.
There was a medley between the Be Good Tanyas, Po' Girl, and some other folk. It was dubbed as a Gospel get-together on Sunday morning, but really ended up being more bluesy. Truly wonderful.
Stumbled upon Ridley Bent later that afternoon. Just by chance. A fantastic lyricist. Kind of like, hip hop freestyle meets the blues. An akward description but a great reality.
I'd like to say that's all I heard, but that would be a lie. But Hillside is not about previews and reviews. It is about having an experience. I will go back next year, and it will be different, and it will be good. That's the nature of the beast.
Not that you would EVER hear me complain about that.
It was a fantastic festival, the most amazing musical potluck ever. They pack three or four acts on different stages simultaneously, so it is impossible to literally enjoy every show. Between that scheduling and my welcome crew duties, I still did manage to catch some great music.
The most ear-catching bit to me this weekend was Les Batinses from Quebec. I was napping over near the lake, and heard both music and crowd and was encouraged to come on over. They were ripping into a fantastic celtic piece that Ashley MacIsaac once covered, much to the delight to the hundreds of concertgoers dancing in the crowds. One of the few makes-you-get-up-and-dance players that actually made people get up and dance.
Speaking of headliners, though, I do have to applaud The Arcade Fire for their true rock enthusiasm for the few songs I saw. I heard most of their act from across the causeway, and was less than impressed. When I showed up, though, was right when they said "OK, let's give them what they want, let's play the f*@$#! hits.." to which they embarked upon a truly impassioned performance. Not that I recognized any of the tunes, but there you go.
There was a medley between the Be Good Tanyas, Po' Girl, and some other folk. It was dubbed as a Gospel get-together on Sunday morning, but really ended up being more bluesy. Truly wonderful.
Stumbled upon Ridley Bent later that afternoon. Just by chance. A fantastic lyricist. Kind of like, hip hop freestyle meets the blues. An akward description but a great reality.
I'd like to say that's all I heard, but that would be a lie. But Hillside is not about previews and reviews. It is about having an experience. I will go back next year, and it will be different, and it will be good. That's the nature of the beast.