Friday, July 08, 2005

 

For my mom

Because even though I'm grown up now, I'm sure that my mom worries about me. This is to let her know that I am eating OK.

It's my grocery list from today, in percentages of the total bill. Mom used to feed her kids using the Food Guide, so let's use those guidelines (even though they've changed a bit since I was a kid). Let's see how well I do.

Fruits and vegetables
5.7%: Ida Red apples (4lb bag)
7.4%: Pineapple (whole, fresh)
3.7%: Broccoli, fresh (2 heads)
1.3%: White onion, fresh (1)
2.1%: Sun-dried tomatoes, from the deli (6)
2.4%: Carrots (2Lb bag)
2.8%: Lettuce, romaine (head)
3.7%: Mushrooms, white button (1 pkg)
3.9%: Bell peppers, red (1)

Dairy products
7.3%: Milk, 1% skim (4L)
11.7%: Cheese, marble cheddar (lots)
8.7%: Cheese, feta (goat cheese)
11.7% Cheese, double-cream brie (200g)

Grain products
3.3%: Tri-Colour pasta, farfalle (bowties)
2.8%: Tri-Colour pasta, rotini (spirals)
4.8%: Bagels, whole wheat sesame seed (6)

Meat and alternatives
3.7%: Tofu, medium firm (1 pkg)

Other
9.2%: Olive oil (400ml)
1.7%: Margarine (small tub)

So? Not bad. I could use a bit more in the way of protein (meat and alternatives) but there's always Mr. P. Butter who I am quite well acquainted with.

My dariy products expenditures are a bit higher than normal - I don't usually have to get more cheddar, milk and brie all in the same go, and I've never bought feta before. Toss in the new bottle of olive oil and the pineapple, and this actually turned out to be a more expensive grocery shop than most (about 40% higher than normal). These groceries will last about a week and a half.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?