Friday, July 08, 2005

 

And a BlackBerry makes ... 10? ... 11? ...

So, today I got my first ever BlackBerry. Thank you, RIM. What ever will you think of next?

With the new toy, of course, comes a new e-mail address. I wonder how many this makes. Let's count together, shall we?

1. Yahoo! Mail account - my first ever account, good and golden
2. Hotmail account - for MSN only, somebody signed me up for it
3. uwaterloo.ca account - free to all students. once artsmail.uwaterloo.ca, now it's alumni.uwaterloo.ca (free e-mail forwarding for life!)
4. gmail account - jumped right on that bandwagon. I'm starting to use it now. No spam yet!
5. Another gmail account - for one of my little projects
6. Yet another gmail account - for another one of my little projects
7. Imprint squirrelmail account - so, at over 3000 messages, I've maxxed this one out, completely broke it. Can't even access old messages!
8. ESQ squirrelmail account -
9. BlackBerry address - for my fellow ESQuires to get ahold of me any time, day or night!
10. My Impact conference team account. Got this one today, too, thank you Joseph Fung.

OK, so that's the list I can get, I'm sure there are more (my apologies to those I don't respond to!). This of course does not include any sort of e-mail forwarding, alternate addresses (ie, when I once received president@imprint, adilts@imprint, board@imprint, etc, etc all to the same address) or the like.

Now, the real question is, am I *more* connected now, or *less* connected? Is it, as Aldous Huxley once quipped, "technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards?"

Would it be better to follow the footsteps of famed computer scientist Donald Knuth, who has not had an e-mail address since January 1, 1990?

"I'd used email since about 1975," said Knuth, "and it seems to me that 15 years of email is plenty for one lifetime."

Well, I haven't had a BlackBerry for 15 years. I like my toys ... for now ...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?