Thursday, April 14, 2005
Social entrepreneurship
I had a nice long hour-and-a-half chat yesterday with John Cullen of UW'sEnterprise Coop. Yes, it's still 'the project.' I already was familiar with most of what he threw at me - mostly entrepreneurship and business concepts - but there was still some really useful information. Matching funding for awards - wOOt! - and some really nice information about business plans.
He also lent me a book: "How to Change the World: Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas." Cover statement of support from Nelson Mandela. I have yet to crack the cover, but it's going to provide some nice post-exam reading. My first pleasure book in quite a while.
It's an interesting title, that. Social entrepreneur. If I look back on some of my activities of late, I acknowledge that I too can bear that label. It's one I first heard used by co-founders extraordinaire George and Parker (EWB) and it's just kind of stuck with me. I like the phrase.
Still, it is another label. Not sure how much I like a new label. I have to admit liking not having the label, and just having it be "well, kind of ... what I do, I guess..."
The project's paperwork for incorporation as a not-for-profit charitable organization should be filed tomorrow. Exciting! They should be ready by the time the Innovate Start-Up Camp is over.
He also lent me a book: "How to Change the World: Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas." Cover statement of support from Nelson Mandela. I have yet to crack the cover, but it's going to provide some nice post-exam reading. My first pleasure book in quite a while.
It's an interesting title, that. Social entrepreneur. If I look back on some of my activities of late, I acknowledge that I too can bear that label. It's one I first heard used by co-founders extraordinaire George and Parker (EWB) and it's just kind of stuck with me. I like the phrase.
Still, it is another label. Not sure how much I like a new label. I have to admit liking not having the label, and just having it be "well, kind of ... what I do, I guess..."
The project's paperwork for incorporation as a not-for-profit charitable organization should be filed tomorrow. Exciting! They should be ready by the time the Innovate Start-Up Camp is over.

