Sunday, April 17, 2005

 

Paddy Power!

Who's going to be the new pope? Want to bet?

From the current Globe and Mail:

"The Irish betting agency Paddy Power ... takes bets on the future of the papacy (even though bets on papal transitions are forbidden by the Roman Catholic Church under a 17th-century papal bull)...

"The agency's favourite papal candidates are Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany, at 7 to 2, followed by Jean-Marie Lustiger of France at 4 to 1 and Carlo Maria Martini of Italy at 9 to 2..."

Three Canadian Cardinals are on the list: Ouelett (Quebec City, 80:1, "roughly in the middle of the pack"), Turcotte (Montreal, 100:1) and Ambrozic (Toronto, 100:1).

Comments:
Are you starting a pool?
 
Absolutely not. In fact, I think it's quite sacreligious that anyone would choose to *bet* on who gets to be the next Pope. Not surprising that such betting would be banned by the church. I posted it because I thought such a thing is ludricrous.
 
*whew* I had hoped so.
 
I too find it difficult to comprehend the combination and perversion of values that would make it desirable to bet on the next Pope.

I mean, who would care enough to bet on this, yet not find it "sacreligious"?

Would a "Second Coming of Christ" pool be better or worse?
 
What the flock are you guys yammering about?

$25 on Lustiger to win!


oh, and put another $5 on Ouelett, but just to show.
 
Valacosa:

Who would bet on the next Pope? I am sure that there are many non-Catholics who will be affected by the conclave's choice. Consider all the press we've heard about John Paul II recently, about how he "fought" communism during the cold war. The effects of a religion are not limited merely to those who choose to uphold its doctrines.

... and yes, I realize that I spelled "sacrilegious" incorrectly.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?