Saturday, March 19, 2005
An ode to my brother, Phil
There are few people in my life who have been as under-appreciated (by me) as my own brother, Phil. Whether he knows it or not, he's the one who most made my university life bearable during my years at UW. He's the one who kicked butt on his SAT scores so many years ago, and in doing so encouraged me to step up to the post-secondary academic plate. It is he who opened the doorway to the Brothel, and in doing so changed my perspective on brilliant students forever.
It is with no small excitement, then, that I announce that my brother will soon be going on to grad school. Yes, my own little brother has recently been accepted to the University of Alberta's Department of Linguistics for a MSc program.
Now, he's not there yet - his acceptance is contidional on his successfully completion of a summer school program by the Linguistics Society of America at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Oh, darn, summer school at one of the most prestigious technical institutes in the world. Summer in wonderful, international, cosmopolitan Cambridge, Massachusetts. You suck, Phil.
His girlfriend must also be happy - a Victoria, BC native (I believe) but currently doing post-grad work at UA as well.
And, of course, I guess this means that a) I now have to step up to the plate and head towards further education, and b) Phil will get the "I did it first, again" bragging rights. If you want to e-mail him congratulations, I recommend pcdilts ^at^ uwaterloo ^dot^ ca.
Way to go, Phil! Hope you have a great time in Cambridge and Calgary!
It is with no small excitement, then, that I announce that my brother will soon be going on to grad school. Yes, my own little brother has recently been accepted to the University of Alberta's Department of Linguistics for a MSc program.
Now, he's not there yet - his acceptance is contidional on his successfully completion of a summer school program by the Linguistics Society of America at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Oh, darn, summer school at one of the most prestigious technical institutes in the world. Summer in wonderful, international, cosmopolitan Cambridge, Massachusetts. You suck, Phil.
His girlfriend must also be happy - a Victoria, BC native (I believe) but currently doing post-grad work at UA as well.
And, of course, I guess this means that a) I now have to step up to the plate and head towards further education, and b) Phil will get the "I did it first, again" bragging rights. If you want to e-mail him congratulations, I recommend pcdilts ^at^ uwaterloo ^dot^ ca.
Way to go, Phil! Hope you have a great time in Cambridge and Calgary!
Comments:
<< Home
c'mon now, nothing wrong with not going to grad school, if it's not what you want to do.
are you coming to my graduation? i know phil is...
-joanna
p.s. is the paul lehmann of "in lehmann's terms" the same one we went to school with and was in my grade? it's odd to see his name again after so long.
are you coming to my graduation? i know phil is...
-joanna
p.s. is the paul lehmann of "in lehmann's terms" the same one we went to school with and was in my grade? it's odd to see his name again after so long.
Yes, Joanna, it's the very same Paul Lehmann. It's funny to think that I'm in school with someone the same age as my baby sister... ;P
I do plan on coming to your graduation - Phil and I and his gf, Katharine, are likely renting a car and driving down just before. I am trying to bring Heidi as well. Are there any plans or events we should be prepared to attend?
I do plan on coming to your graduation - Phil and I and his gf, Katharine, are likely renting a car and driving down just before. I am trying to bring Heidi as well. Are there any plans or events we should be prepared to attend?
no special events so far as i know, other than the ceremony itself (which promises to be long and boring, as they tend to do), but we'll probably be going out to dinner somewhere, and everyone's more than welcome to come hang out at our apt (though be warned, we now have a cat named clementine to go along with darwin).
-joanna
Post a Comment
-joanna
<< Home

