Saturday, March 26, 2005
I do love Vivaldi
There is simply nothing better to wake up to than Vivaldi's "Four Seasons." A host of violins gently welcoming you into the sunshine of your day... who could want for more? I almost wish there were words to join in chorus with. Almost.
I decided against church yesterday, though I am a bit sad at missing the Good Friday service. That day's service is more markedly different than many other masses, at least at my church. A more sombre mood - deep crimson decorations, moments of silence at 3:00pm, mournful songs - can be found on Good Friday as compared to other days throughout the year. The mass is also traditionally longer - up to three hours (moreso, even, if your mom leads the church choir and has to practice beforehand).
Still, I think that I will attend Easter mass tomorrow. It is more celebratory, in contrast to Good Friday's service - brighter music, the crimson hues have been replaced with royal purples. Plus, my church always took time to honour the children on Easter Sunday. It would be interesting to see if this tradition has been maintained.
I decided against church yesterday, though I am a bit sad at missing the Good Friday service. That day's service is more markedly different than many other masses, at least at my church. A more sombre mood - deep crimson decorations, moments of silence at 3:00pm, mournful songs - can be found on Good Friday as compared to other days throughout the year. The mass is also traditionally longer - up to three hours (moreso, even, if your mom leads the church choir and has to practice beforehand).
Still, I think that I will attend Easter mass tomorrow. It is more celebratory, in contrast to Good Friday's service - brighter music, the crimson hues have been replaced with royal purples. Plus, my church always took time to honour the children on Easter Sunday. It would be interesting to see if this tradition has been maintained.
Comments:
<< Home
I wish that we could go to Mass together. I'd love for you to be the one to introduce me to Catholic Easter Mass.
And there's nothing quite so life-affirming as Vivaldi.
And there's nothing quite so life-affirming as Vivaldi.
There is something better than waking up to Vivaldi's Four Seasons... actually playing them.
My favourite to play is winter since it's so textural. The sul ponticello (playing on the bridge) and the 16th notes are supposed to make the strings sound like chattering teeth. Cool indeed.
Post a Comment
My favourite to play is winter since it's so textural. The sul ponticello (playing on the bridge) and the 16th notes are supposed to make the strings sound like chattering teeth. Cool indeed.
<< Home
