Wednesday, February 02, 2005

 

"Partners for Employment"

Today's Job Fair was an engaging occasion. Some thoughts:

I'd never been to RIM park before, the fair's locale, and I have to admit that I was less than impressed with what I saw. True, not the season for golf, but the facilities I toured did not seem to be quite spectacular. I love their motto, though: "It's For Now. It's Forever. It's For Everyone." Damn straight it's forever - at the cost of a few hundred million dollars overbudget, it had better last at least that long!

The fair itself was an interesting conglomeration of employers. The expected mix of tech jobs - amazon.com and the like - and business/financial services jobs - Manulife - was present. Still, there was the odd fish out of water - I spent a few minutes consoling the tree planting rep from Outland Reforestation, as the suits-and-CVs crowd certainly was not part of his target market. African Lion Safari as well, not sure they got so much attention.

Like many others, I was quick to note that all job positions advertised at the fair were listed in the "Employer's Manual" handed out at registration, thus negating much of the need to hobnob for employment. Go home, tailor those resumes and then apply from the comfort and convenience of your own home.

Knowing this, I instead tried for the odd/special/unusual conversations. Jasper National Park - were the positions going to be as laid back as expected? Would I have to pay for housing? No, really, amazon.com - how DO I get a non-tech job down there in California? Hey, Frito-Lay - if I work for you do I get free chips?

I think that Arda Ocal had the best question, for CBC - how do I get to be the next Peter Mansbridge?

I also noted a few employers that looked interesting - a medical research analysis company, maybe a resort or two. More than one "business services" firm or HR firm looked like it might be up my alley ... time will tell!

Comments:
Promise me you're not going to apply to African Lion Safari or Frito-Lays. ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?