Thursday, February 24, 2005

 

No Imprint fee increase?

Word through the grapevine is that Imprint's Board of Directors (of which I am no longer a member - website needs to be updated, apparently) decided at a board meeting on Monday to !disregard! the direction of the membership from the Annual General Meeting and not raise the Imprint fee. Furthermore, front-page advertising at Imprint may soon become a reality - perhaps the two decisions are related?

If any members of Imprint read this - and I know you do - I'd love to hear further details.

Comments:
Ok, I just got off the phone with some reliable sources about this. I'd summarize on MSN but you don't seem to be on.

The two AGM motions approving the budget and raising the fee were deemed contradictory by the board.

They could break the budget and raise the fee, risking an audit and a situation much like the current WPIRG issue, or they could break the fee resolution and keep the budget, which was against the spirit of the membership as well.

Instead, they chose to break the fee and the budget, running a net deficit in the budget, restoring the honoraria and staff salaries to a modest increase over last year, in keeping with the spirit of the membership.

They also approved the sale of front page advertising at the same meeting.

So there you have it.
 
Your wording is a little awkward but that's essentially what happened. The board went against both motions while "keeping with the spirit of the membership." Thus making most people happy while avoiding an audit or WPIRG-style referendum on the fee.
 
... so, rather than 'break' the budget (which could easily have been amended by the board, methinks), they chose to 'break' both the fee and the budget?!?
 
*random post*

Welcome home Andrew!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?