Sunday, February 13, 2005
Ned Flanders takes centre stage
"...the values [Ned] embodies in exaggerated form now monopolize the political scene. In fact, one might say that Homer is Ned's next-door neighbor, not the other way around, so clearly does Ned bask in the mainstream..."
Part a popular story that has circulated on Reuters and other major news wires since last Sunday's Simpsons eposide, where Homer and Ned team up to present a religiously-themed Super Bowl halftime show. The complete story is here.
Before I went to university, I hitch-hiked across the United States and Canada because I wanted to learn what my two native countries were really like. I wonder ... what changes would I notice if I were to take a similar trip, now that "W" has been re-elected?
Part a popular story that has circulated on Reuters and other major news wires since last Sunday's Simpsons eposide, where Homer and Ned team up to present a religiously-themed Super Bowl halftime show. The complete story is here.
Before I went to university, I hitch-hiked across the United States and Canada because I wanted to learn what my two native countries were really like. I wonder ... what changes would I notice if I were to take a similar trip, now that "W" has been re-elected?
Comments:
<< Home
That's an interesting concept - Ned Flanders being the most mainstream character. At least Ned cares for his fellow human beings. That doesn't seem to be the norm for American culture, right now, though, or at least American government. Maybe soon we'll hear George W. greeting the world leaders with "Hi diddly-ho, neighbours!" American Christian righ-wingedness would almost be worth it to have this happen. Almost, but not quite.
Post a Comment
<< Home
