Monday, February 28, 2005
Halifax airport ... still
The thing I love about the Halifax airport is the free wireless. The thing I don't love about it is the fact that I can now add it to my "list of airports I've slept at."
After the plane last night was fully boarded, a Jetsgo rep came on and announced that the luggage had all been taken off the plane - except for a live dog, a stroller and something else. Weather and runway problems had resulted in our load being deemed as too heavy. All luggage was to be shipped on a flight to Toronto this morning at 6:30am - the same flight I'm waiting for, in fact. Anyone who wanted to stay with their luggage was welcome to get off the plane right then....
My housekeys were in my luggage. So it was either a night in the SLC sans luggage, or a night in the Halifax airport avec luggage.
I chose the more exotic route.
Sad that sleeping on a cold, wooden, flourescent-lit bench in the Halifax airport is my definition of exotic. Either that or I've been in Canada for far, far too long...
No comps from Jetsgo, by the way - no travel vouchers or hotel stays. The perils of flying with a shoestring airline, it seems.
---- Later update ----
Home now, home being Ontario, safe and sound Waterloo, good old 77 Seagram Drive. I'm tired after an airporter home, showering and making it to work on time, going to class, preparing for a debate tomorrow and then chilling at the (free) Cannes International Advertising Festival in Humanities tonight. One thing to be said about this year's Feds exec - they do sure know how to treat ya to a movie.
Hilarity was John Andersen (now Feds president-elect) burning through the Rick-Theis-prepared introductory speech, in the wake of some serious heckling from the audience (ahem, Meagan and Rick).
My favourtie commercials: the ninja "get a good companion," the BC SPCA "some things you should only do with a pet" series, Evian will rock you, pole dancing girl on the subway and of course the "chicken you can trust" bit. Being my dad's son, I noted that many came from Saatchi and Saatchi's international offices, and one company called DDB had a lot of good ones as well.
All this was part of UW's International Celebration week this week. Some good presentations from African dancers in the SLC today. Tomorrow is an early set up for an EWB display.
Oh, and in case you were wondering ... the list: Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Lima. Napping in Chicago, San Francisco and Cedar Rapids (Iowa) don't really count. But now, Halifax does.
After the plane last night was fully boarded, a Jetsgo rep came on and announced that the luggage had all been taken off the plane - except for a live dog, a stroller and something else. Weather and runway problems had resulted in our load being deemed as too heavy. All luggage was to be shipped on a flight to Toronto this morning at 6:30am - the same flight I'm waiting for, in fact. Anyone who wanted to stay with their luggage was welcome to get off the plane right then....
My housekeys were in my luggage. So it was either a night in the SLC sans luggage, or a night in the Halifax airport avec luggage.
I chose the more exotic route.
Sad that sleeping on a cold, wooden, flourescent-lit bench in the Halifax airport is my definition of exotic. Either that or I've been in Canada for far, far too long...
No comps from Jetsgo, by the way - no travel vouchers or hotel stays. The perils of flying with a shoestring airline, it seems.
---- Later update ----
Home now, home being Ontario, safe and sound Waterloo, good old 77 Seagram Drive. I'm tired after an airporter home, showering and making it to work on time, going to class, preparing for a debate tomorrow and then chilling at the (free) Cannes International Advertising Festival in Humanities tonight. One thing to be said about this year's Feds exec - they do sure know how to treat ya to a movie.
Hilarity was John Andersen (now Feds president-elect) burning through the Rick-Theis-prepared introductory speech, in the wake of some serious heckling from the audience (ahem, Meagan and Rick).
My favourtie commercials: the ninja "get a good companion," the BC SPCA "some things you should only do with a pet" series, Evian will rock you, pole dancing girl on the subway and of course the "chicken you can trust" bit. Being my dad's son, I noted that many came from Saatchi and Saatchi's international offices, and one company called DDB had a lot of good ones as well.
All this was part of UW's International Celebration week this week. Some good presentations from African dancers in the SLC today. Tomorrow is an early set up for an EWB display.
Oh, and in case you were wondering ... the list: Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Lima. Napping in Chicago, San Francisco and Cedar Rapids (Iowa) don't really count. But now, Halifax does.