Monday, February 14, 2005

 

Fire pit, duct tape, old skool ... my privacy has been invaded

Dear Google,

Though I have come to believe that "it serves me right" to have made use of your public blog service, I still must protest the invasive adversiting techniques that are suddenly being used by Blogger. Skipping through my own personal blog, so kindly hosted by your site, I now see that my personal journal entries have been invaded in nothing but the most kitschy of manners by your company's web tools *without any notice whatsoever*.

You see, I notice that cetain phrases in my blog entries have now been highlighted as HTML links and marked with a double underline, only to direct my readers towards any one of a plethora of merchandising sites. It strikes me as an odd cross-section of "merchandise" that I have unwittingly listed on my site: references to a fire pit'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">fire pit, duct tape'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">duct tape, old skool'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">old skool, t-shirts'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">t-shirts all now try to sell things to my readers.

Making use of your generously free service, I may have gladly settled for some advertising here or there on my site. However, due to the intrusive and incredibly rude nature of the sudden change, I shall now spend time looking for a better way to host my blog.

Sincerely,
Andrew Dilts
one pissed off Google user

Comments:
All of us cool people use LiveJournal to manage and deliver content. It allows you to post personal stuff as private for your own memory, yet keep up a public face with other posts. No ads, it's all funded by paid users who pay for the insane cool extra features, but free accounts still get quite a bit of love. Check it out!

livejournal.com
 
The "insane cool extra features" on livejournal are nothing short of "high maintenance" features. 100 extra personal logo slots for your posts? Blogger is for people who only have enough time to post and not do extra stuff.

Are these ads for real? Are you sure they aren't an outside source invading your blog? Can't you go back into the post and remove the codes? I haven't encountered anything like this on my blogs.
 
Indeed, Dinu and Margie, you seem to be correct. The problem only appears to be happening on my own blog. Google is not to be demonized ... not yet, at least.

Still, whenever I put a new post up it looks normal in the 'preview' but then extensive HTML links are added under certain, random keywords. Not sure if you can see this in the post above, but those partial links have somehow broken and appear in my original post now.

No idea what it is. Hoping to get it fixed.
 
The best way to have absolute control of your blog is to get some webspace and write the whole code yourself. It's been done.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?