Wednesday, January 12, 2005

 

The perfect analogy ... I hope

Just after midnight, I got into Kinkos. I needed a few dozen sheets of brightly coloured paper. They were available in bags of 25 at a cost of $3.50 per bag. Approaching the counter, I ask if coloured sheets can be sold individually.

"Of course," says she.

"How much does each page cost?" asks I.

"Eight cents," she replies.

My eyebrow raises ever so slightly.

"Shouldn't it be cheaper than $3.50 for 25, then?" asks I.

I am met with a blank stare.

I grab the calculator on the counter in front of her. I show her that $0.08 x 25 equals $2.00.

Still, the blank stare.

This is an interesting analogy of how my life is right now. What is interesting is that I would like real life to progress as it did at Kinko's.

"I'll take ten sheets," says I.

Fetching the sheets, she charges me $0.92.

"You know what? I changed my mind. Can I have 15 more sheets?" I query.

Fetching the sheets, she charges me $1.38.

I give her a looooong, slow look. I pick up the 25 sheets that she has just fetched me with her own two hands. I have paid $2.30. The irony is completely lost on her. I refrain from making a smart-assed remark as I walk out the door. I am sure that the same blank stare followed me all the way out.

OK, so what's really the analogy is that I'm leaving my house at midnight to go to school to make posters - my life is so sad.

Comments:
If only I could have caught this on film. Sounds like it was comedically timed to the millisecond. lol

Sad lives aren't truly sad because they make for good comedic relief. :)
 
I share Margie's sentiments about wanting to capture this on film.

Having worked at a grocery store, I used to see situations like this all the time — except people usually realized one option was cheaper than the other once you told them about it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?