Saturday, January 29, 2005
Human resources, blind martial arts and Guinness
Lazier days now that my workload is somewhat lighter? No such thing. Maybe my problem will soon be solved?!?
The afternoon saw a meeting with Katrina DiGravio of UW Human Resources. Imprint's EIC hiring committee began training - including a few hours of some extremely boring training videos about how to interview properly. Poking my eyes out with a fork may have been a more pleasant experience. Still, the committee looks like it will be great to work with - and confidentiality requires that, in the words of Forrest Gump, "that's all I have to say about that."
In the meanwhile, though, Friday night was still Friday night. I brought a bottle of Jack Daniel's to Meagan's house as she went out to the LCBO to pick up some Guinness and Kilkenny's. A few free passes to The House of Flying Daggers later and we were set for the night.
Daggers is a beautiful movie, made by the same director as the movie Hero with Jet Li. I would call it more of a work of art than a movie - certainly, the choreography, costumes and overall visual appeal were as important as the plot. An interesting twist is that the female lead - Zhang Ziyi - plays the part of a blind girl who just happens to be quite proficient at some insanely impressive martial arts.
I was less impressed with the new Princess Twin cinema. It was not yet complete - hooks on bare walls wanting pictures, paint already significantly cracked on the "Princess Twin" and "Box Office" letters. Makings of a great cinema, but not quite right. C'mon, John Tutte, you can do better!
We headed back to Meagan's afterwards to debate the merits of the movie, quaff the beer and watch the director's cut of The Butterfly Effect until about 2:30am. I slept in my favourite place - Meagan's solarium - and have just returned home now, on Saturday.
The afternoon saw a meeting with Katrina DiGravio of UW Human Resources. Imprint's EIC hiring committee began training - including a few hours of some extremely boring training videos about how to interview properly. Poking my eyes out with a fork may have been a more pleasant experience. Still, the committee looks like it will be great to work with - and confidentiality requires that, in the words of Forrest Gump, "that's all I have to say about that."
In the meanwhile, though, Friday night was still Friday night. I brought a bottle of Jack Daniel's to Meagan's house as she went out to the LCBO to pick up some Guinness and Kilkenny's. A few free passes to The House of Flying Daggers later and we were set for the night.
Daggers is a beautiful movie, made by the same director as the movie Hero with Jet Li. I would call it more of a work of art than a movie - certainly, the choreography, costumes and overall visual appeal were as important as the plot. An interesting twist is that the female lead - Zhang Ziyi - plays the part of a blind girl who just happens to be quite proficient at some insanely impressive martial arts.
I was less impressed with the new Princess Twin cinema. It was not yet complete - hooks on bare walls wanting pictures, paint already significantly cracked on the "Princess Twin" and "Box Office" letters. Makings of a great cinema, but not quite right. C'mon, John Tutte, you can do better!
We headed back to Meagan's afterwards to debate the merits of the movie, quaff the beer and watch the director's cut of The Butterfly Effect until about 2:30am. I slept in my favourite place - Meagan's solarium - and have just returned home now, on Saturday.
Comments:
<< Home
I'm not sure how Darren, Tex and I missed seeing you in the theatre... odd.
I liked the movie too, especially the part in the bamboo forest where the sound effects reflect blindness. I wouldn't be surprised if they won some sound effects awards around oscar time.
The plot twists, however, I found less than desirable. The story has weight up until they get to the bamboo forest and then changes too quickly with the twists mere minutes apart. The rest of the film is still wickedly cool... I just think it has a few weak points in plot.
I liked the movie too, especially the part in the bamboo forest where the sound effects reflect blindness. I wouldn't be surprised if they won some sound effects awards around oscar time.
The plot twists, however, I found less than desirable. The story has weight up until they get to the bamboo forest and then changes too quickly with the twists mere minutes apart. The rest of the film is still wickedly cool... I just think it has a few weak points in plot.
I'm not sure how Hingman, Mike, and I missed seeing you around the theatre either - we saw closer.
Oh god, UW Human Resources training, I remember that from two years ago... wasn't that so screamingly DULL? "All I can say about that," as you say, is that the training had an effect on us.
Post a Comment
Oh god, UW Human Resources training, I remember that from two years ago... wasn't that so screamingly DULL? "All I can say about that," as you say, is that the training had an effect on us.
<< Home

