Sunday, January 23, 2005
EWB National Conference in brief
I spent six days in Vancouver, five of it at the fourth annual EWB national conference. Some highlights, both the important and the frivolous/humourous:
Much of the content was a bit disappointing. Now, I have to remember that I was both much older and more experienced than many of the delegates, but still there were a fair share of "EWB Conference 2003" t-shirts. The main point that they were trying to get across was that as international development volunteers we need to think of the impact of our actions, not just the outcomes or outputs. Rather elementary to someone with even a year of env. studies background, though. Some useful exercises, but nothing new.
However, the networking opportunities were invaluable. I managed to meet with such great fundraisers as the Calgary chapter corporate rep (think: $50,000/year target) or volunteer of the year Chad "$3,000 in a pie throw contest" Hamre. One formal, "invite-only" session was set up -- too brief, but quite helpful. Oh, and they really liked the Xbox/Halo 2 party fundraiser idea.
There were the higher 'perks' of the conference. Bell's VP Operations gave a great talk entitled "Words of Wisdom," about life and living it. I was throughly unimpressed by Lloyd Axworthy's keynote speech, though I was thoroughly impressed with its setting - the Vancouver law courts' atrium - and with the African drum/dance band that followed.
My makeshift cot on the floor also served me well, compared to the cramming of two delegates to a bed with one tiny little duvet between them.
If I had to run the conference, I would shift the 'networking' opportunities into higher priority. On the ground learning, you could say.
Though, the food was fantastic. The kind of vegeterian food that would not leave meat eaters wanting. Also, many good photos were taken, hopefully to appear on this site soon.
Much of the content was a bit disappointing. Now, I have to remember that I was both much older and more experienced than many of the delegates, but still there were a fair share of "EWB Conference 2003" t-shirts. The main point that they were trying to get across was that as international development volunteers we need to think of the impact of our actions, not just the outcomes or outputs. Rather elementary to someone with even a year of env. studies background, though. Some useful exercises, but nothing new.
However, the networking opportunities were invaluable. I managed to meet with such great fundraisers as the Calgary chapter corporate rep (think: $50,000/year target) or volunteer of the year Chad "$3,000 in a pie throw contest" Hamre. One formal, "invite-only" session was set up -- too brief, but quite helpful. Oh, and they really liked the Xbox/Halo 2 party fundraiser idea.
There were the higher 'perks' of the conference. Bell's VP Operations gave a great talk entitled "Words of Wisdom," about life and living it. I was throughly unimpressed by Lloyd Axworthy's keynote speech, though I was thoroughly impressed with its setting - the Vancouver law courts' atrium - and with the African drum/dance band that followed.
My makeshift cot on the floor also served me well, compared to the cramming of two delegates to a bed with one tiny little duvet between them.
If I had to run the conference, I would shift the 'networking' opportunities into higher priority. On the ground learning, you could say.
Though, the food was fantastic. The kind of vegeterian food that would not leave meat eaters wanting. Also, many good photos were taken, hopefully to appear on this site soon.
Comments:
<< Home
Glad to hear you had a good time.
Y'know, I could see you having a carreer in fundraising someday. You certainly know how to motivate people.
Post a Comment
Y'know, I could see you having a carreer in fundraising someday. You certainly know how to motivate people.
<< Home
