Wednesday, December 29, 2004
Jon Stewart recognized
Browsing through the shelves at the local Borders bookstore earlier tonight (God bless corporate America), I noted that the Daily Show's very own Jon Stewart has been named Entertainment Weekly's Entertainer of the Year for 2004. What more can I say? This man and his institution - though Comedy Cental show it may be - represents a paradigm shift in news reporting. He's able to go where few others go, and in doing so has catapulted his way to fake-news, real-reporting success.
Democrats love Stewart (for obvious, partisan reasons) and many Republicans at least respect him for being on top. Sure, one might counter that the EW "entertainers of the year" list often includes such ... insubstantial? ... pop icons as Britney and Madonna, but Stewart has been honoured by other means as well. He's been honored by Newsweek as the #1 candidate of Who's Next 2004, a spot that this year was awarded to Democratic wunderkind Barack Obama. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the media who respects Stewart for his achievements to date. If only This Hour has 22 Minutes had the capacity for the viewership (and funding) that Stewart enjoys, it would earn similar accolades.
Archived clips from the Daily Show are available on the Comedy Central site. I think it's pretty much the entirery of each broadcast, broken down into bits and missing only the "Moment of Zen." Warning: you have to put up with Ellen Degeneres' 25 second intro for approximately each 4 minute segment of the Daily Show.
Democrats love Stewart (for obvious, partisan reasons) and many Republicans at least respect him for being on top. Sure, one might counter that the EW "entertainers of the year" list often includes such ... insubstantial? ... pop icons as Britney and Madonna, but Stewart has been honoured by other means as well. He's been honored by Newsweek as the #1 candidate of Who's Next 2004, a spot that this year was awarded to Democratic wunderkind Barack Obama. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the media who respects Stewart for his achievements to date. If only This Hour has 22 Minutes had the capacity for the viewership (and funding) that Stewart enjoys, it would earn similar accolades.
Archived clips from the Daily Show are available on the Comedy Central site. I think it's pretty much the entirery of each broadcast, broken down into bits and missing only the "Moment of Zen." Warning: you have to put up with Ellen Degeneres' 25 second intro for approximately each 4 minute segment of the Daily Show.