Sunday, November 21, 2004

 

You be the judge

Yesterday on her blog, my girlfriend insulted my Pictionary skills. Thus, the gloves are off, a match to be settled in a duel of doodles. Who is the better artist? You be the judge!

We dueled at 3:00pm today, with suggestions from her 'friends.' But oh, no, wait, she has no friends! ... so we went with a recycled idea. We each had to draw "nothing."

To vote, post a response below. You don't have to sign in - note the 'post anonymously'- feature, but you do have to vote and give some sort of identifying signature (so I know you're not also voting on Heidi's blog). Voting will end at 4:00pm tomorrow (Monday).

AndrewClick here
HeidiClick here

Comments:
Heidi: I don't know why we look like we're made of weiners in your drawing

Andrew: OK, so you're a smart person, but what I don't understand is ... why did you dress up the mouse in a sweater?

Heidi: It's not a mouse. It's a thing. See, he even says.

Andrew: so, it's a talking mouse in a sweater? That's very clever. I hope that you have bribed many friends to judge this on your behalf.

Heidi: I'm not worried, sausageman!

Andrew: And perhaps you missed one very important point - 'nothing' is not the same as 'not a thing' or 'no things allowed,' which you do not seem to understand.

Heidi: Le Bank? Where do you bank? Switzerland?

Heidi: Nothing: The absence of things. If Thing is not present, then he is absent, in which case there is nothing, or no Thing.

Andrew: Yeah, but that's clearly a 'no things allowed' sign. Which I don't understand, because who wouldn't like such a cute mouse in a sweater? And yes, I bank in le Switzerland, where they have far too much class to be dressing up their mice in lipstick and sweaters.

Heidi: Why are we wearing flat hats in your picture?

Andrew: Flat hats are all the style in Switzerland, where they have le bank. Why is your mouse wearing lipstick, sicko?

Heidi: And the confusion in your head is probably because you're wondering why you're made of sausage and only have hair on the very top of your head. Where did your hair go? And why is my bum so big in your picture? Thing is not wearing lipstick. It's a great big happy grin.

Andrew: My hair is under le hat, and I am not made of sausage. I used rounded rectangular shapes because they are the best figure for proportionate human beings. Notice, for example, the size of your butt.

Heidi: I'm also noticing the absence of shape in my chest region... what's up with that? And you look like you've put on a few pounds there... mostly in the butt region. Your hair must have migrated down...

Andrew: The thing is clearly wearing lipstick. No living creature has lips that red. You have no shape in your chest because you are running away. Unless, since you've moved to Nova Scotia, you've grown boobs out of your back?

Heidi: I also have no feet. I must not be running away too quickly, since I have no feet!

Andrew: they are running away so quickly with my money that you can barely see them. That is also why your hair is a mess, and why I am so confused.

Heidi: You look like a robot.

Andrew: Would you suggest that I be dressed up in brown, fuzzy footed pajamas, like your abomination of nature?

Heidi: Oh, I thought you were confused because you were wondering how you got stuck in such an ugly drawing! Well, it would certainly be an improvement over your oversized, sausage shaped body.

Andrew: Yeah, at least I understand ENGLISH, Ms. English major. Nothing is clearly the same as 'no things allowed' I think the judges will clearly understand that.

Heidi: Look: Nothing no thing - Both mean the absense of thing. Or, in this case, of Thing. And your picture is a blatant lie. It implies that you spend money buying me presents, which is untrue. Or that I've robbed you. Which is also untrue.

Andrew: my picture heralds the truth from the highest points in the information superhighway! See, you can't even critique my picture without a grab for more presents (=more money).

Heidi: Why is there a random green spot on the wall behind us?

Andrew: It is money, flying through the air, slipped through your fingers as you dash away in a hurry.

Heidi: Then why is it an oval?

Andrew: Why is your thing standing in midair? Is it a flying thing? With lipstick, footed pajamas and a voice?

Heidi: Because that's the only shape you can draw? I went for the minimalist look, so that my meaning could more easily comprehended. Unlike you, Mr Fancy-Dancy sidewalk. And bank machine.

Andrew: more easily comprehended ... to cover up for your lack of artistic skills, no doubt.

Heidi: To reduce the clutter... my drawing is clean, simple ... and not spreading slanderous lies, I might add.
 
Hey Guys,
Sorry Heidi I've got to side with Andrew on this one, his rendition of nothing was superior (as to the larger ass comment theres nothing like a few month of not planting to cause that to happen)
Meagan
 
I'm going to spoil my ballot and simply say:

Christ, that's funny.

t
 
Well, I'm the fine arts student so here's my analysis of the art in question:

First off, drawing such an abstract concept as "nothing" is a daunting task, even for the most talented of pictionary enthousiasts. How do you represent nothingness with something? This is where symbolism comes into play. The main difference between the two drawings is the choice of symbol to supplant "nothing" with.

Andrew chose to symbolize "nothing" with a situation from his life, a more emotional interpretation, whereas Heidi chose a more language based pun, basing hers on the language. So which is the truer representation? Neither as I see it. Andrew's emotinal response to "feeling like he has nothing, (or being poor) is just as valid as Heidi's stickling for rules of the english language. Thus I must base my voting on sheer artistic value alone.

Andrew's is the more complex drawing of the two. His represenation of the human figure, however sausagelike, is a valiant effort within the constraints of the paint program. The running dialogue with each indicated part of the drawing is very comical, maybe even suggesting that Andrew also has "nothing" in his head.

Heidi's drawing is simple - which is good when you're playing pictionary. The concept is understood quickly and accurately, despite the ambiguousness of such a strange and androgenous animal. A classic example of opposites (a great tactic in the game).

Both drawings, however, would be disqualified under the normal rules of Pictionary for having writing in them, especially Andrew's for writing the word in question. If that rule didn't exist, I'd vote for Andrew's for his drawing skills and comic relief. If both pictures had all the writing taken away, I'd have to vote for Heidi's since hers still conveys negation without verbalization.

So depending on variant rules, my vote could go either way.
 
Phil Dilts Here,

As soon as Margie pointed out that the nothingness was all in Andrew's head, I realized I'd have to vote for his. Kudos.
 
Andrew's just informed me that it was a doodle contest and not necessarily set in the rules of Pictionary. Thus, as my previous post indicates, my vote is with l'art d'Andrew.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?