Sunday, November 14, 2004

 

Impact 2004 exceeds expectations

I spent much of today at the student-run entrepreneurship conference, Impact 2004. Though I can not say that I really learned much in the way of new material, the conference did exceed my expectations. There was a balanced perspective of entrepreneurship, with as many warnings and stereotype challenges of the field as there were praises.

I liked the 'female entrepreneur' much more than I thought I would. Her presentation was far from the token "PC" speech, and was quite inspirational. It's good to know that the glass ceiling stereotype has largely faded and that a successful woman in the workplace is no longer seen as the "b#tch with a chip on her shoulder." Frank O'Dea, founder of The Second Cup and member of the Order of Canada, was also quite moving as the night's keynote speaker. Lord knows I started out like he did, I can only hope to end as well.

The event was fun for me, personally, since I seemed to have many positions and as many nametags. Waterloo delegate, media delegate and 'distinguished guest.' Hey, the VIP access got me free drinks at the break, kudos to you Kunal Gupta! John Andersen and Hanna were also there, those were good breaks.

All in all, the Impact 2004 team did a great job. Kunal, Guarav and all the rest - I wish you well in your future endeavours! Also, Geoff Malleck now owes me a coffee date. It's about time. He taught one of my favourite classes at UW and I would certainly enjoy getting to talk with him again.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?