Sunday, November 14, 2004
Compassionately pushing my leading edge
So, tonight I taught my first yoga class in almost a year. Well, not counting my experiences teaching yoga to some dirty treeplanters at Brinkman this summer - later in life, I think I will look back at that experience as one of the best things I've ever done.
I teach in the Ashtanga style, a vigorous style of yoga that has come to be known in the mainstream as "power yoga." The community class lasted only an hour and I cut it down to 45 minutes. It can be quite difficult to do ashtanga, but that's why I like it - it cuts down on all the bull.
I can also teach in the Kripalu style of yoga, but that has tended to be far too gentle for my tastes. Likley as I grow older and start slowing down, I will tend to appreciate this style more.
I am a bit afraid of teaching yoga again, though. There are many things that people strive to achieve through yoga. Some of them I have achieved and avoid now as they have been all-consuming.
I may start to have yoga dreams again. That would be good for the soul. Many thanks to Meaghan Johnson and Amanda Ingall for starting up the True Natures Centre in Waterloo.
I teach in the Ashtanga style, a vigorous style of yoga that has come to be known in the mainstream as "power yoga." The community class lasted only an hour and I cut it down to 45 minutes. It can be quite difficult to do ashtanga, but that's why I like it - it cuts down on all the bull.
I can also teach in the Kripalu style of yoga, but that has tended to be far too gentle for my tastes. Likley as I grow older and start slowing down, I will tend to appreciate this style more.
I am a bit afraid of teaching yoga again, though. There are many things that people strive to achieve through yoga. Some of them I have achieved and avoid now as they have been all-consuming.
I may start to have yoga dreams again. That would be good for the soul. Many thanks to Meaghan Johnson and Amanda Ingall for starting up the True Natures Centre in Waterloo.
Comments:
<< Home
It was a great class. I so frequently have teachers who go outside the traditional asanas that it was nice to do some basics again. Congrats Andrew for getting back into it despite your fears. And for other interested parties... go to his community classes, I highly recommend him.
Post a Comment
<< Home
